Migrating Library Data: A Practical Manual
edited by Kyle Banerjee and Bonnie Parks
272 pages • 6 x 9
Year Published: 2017
Most librarians and staff participate in at least one data migration during their careers. And since the new systems inevitably work differently than the old ones and require different data to function, it’s always a challenge to plan smooth migrations that position libraries to immediately leverage new system capabilities. Using step-by-step instructions and checklists, this book offers expert advice to help library staff without programming knowledge address common conceptual and technical issues encountered in migrations. An important planning and implementation tool that will help prevent headaches and frustration, this book
- offers a holistic view of migrating different types of library data in ILSes, institutional repositories, DAMs, and other types of systems used to manage data and operations;
- shows how to analyze, clean, and manipulate data using skills and tools available to most libraries;
- demonstrates how to work with specific data types typically encountered such as MARC, XML, and delimited text;
- examines issues that affect specific areas such as acquisitions, circulation, licensing, and institutional repositories;
- addresses how to handle changes in authentication management or when moving into a wholly new environment such as a shared catalog;
- thoroughly covers testing, the final migration process, and putting the new system into full production;
- offers guidance on planning for system freeze, staff training, and how to deal with fallout;
- provides step-by-step instructions as well as useful checklists for “go live” readiness, post-migration functionality, and more.
Library staff involved with migrating data will feel confident following this guide’s expert advice.
We Also Recommend
2015 ACRL Academic Library Trends and Statistics for Carnegie Classifications: Associates of Arts Colleges, Baccalaureate Colleges, Master’s College and Institutions, Doctorate Granting Institutions