Phobias: The Psychology of Irrational Fear
by Irena Milosevic and Randi E. McCabe, Editors
444 pages • 7 x 10
Year Published: 2015
Combining popular appeal with accessibly written entries suitable for research projects, this fascinating encyclopedia provides a thorough introduction to the psychological and scientific aspects of phobias.
Many people have irrational fears. Phobias affect about 19 million Americans each year. So is fear "normal"? At what point do fears become clinical phobias? Phobias: The Psychology of Irrational Fear is the definitive volume on a broad range of topics related to fears and phobias. After an introduction to the subject of fear and phobias, the encyclopedia presents approximately 200 A–Z, cross-referenced entries that address phobias from a variety of angles—types of fears, root causes, physiological and psychological effects, classification, and treatments.
The work presents accurate, authoritative, and up-to-date information based on scientific evidence. The majority of the numerous contributors are anxiety disorder researchers and clinicians who possess cutting-edge knowledge of their areas of expertise. Ideal for both high school students and general audiences, readers will be engaged by high-interest content that not only details and explains various phobias but enables them to trace the history, theories, and practices associated with the study and treatment of phobias.
- Provides scientifically grounded, accessibly written content contributed by current leading researchers and clinicians in the area of phobias and anxiety disorders
- Covers a variety of the most common specific phobias, including fears of spiders, enclosed spaces, snakes, and heights
- Includes illustrative examples and case vignettes to bring the subject matter to life
- Supplies comprehensive coverage of scientific and clinical perspectives, with attention to historical, cultural, and popular contexts
- Enables readers to trace the history, theories, and practices associated with the study and treatment of phobias